Front ViewThe home, constructed in 1839 of rough-sawn oak, was first owned by Charles Dresser, the Episcopal minister who conducted the Lincoln marriage ceremony. Rev. Dresser sold it to the Lincolns five years later for $1,500: $1,200 in cash and a lot valued at $300.
The house was one and one-half stories high when Abraham Lincoln bought it. In 1850 the Lincolns added this front brick retaining wall and fence, and by 1856 they enlarged the house to two full stories at a cost of $1,300.
<Click on picture to continue.