AbrahamLincolnOnline.Org

Adams County Courthouse

The procession to the cemetery moved from the square down Baltimore Street, passing the Adams County Courthouse and other buildings still standing today. Nearby, Henry Sweney observed President Lincoln riding by. "His modest appearance and dignified manners, to say nothing of the nobel speeches he made here, has endeared him to the hearts of the people and added thousands of friends to him on that day."

Gettyburg became the county seat in 1800 and its citizens built this courthouse in 1859. Like many other buildings in town, it played a role during the battle. On June 26, Confederate troops held it, and by July 1, it became a temporary field hospital.

<Click on picture to continue.


  Back to Tour Home 

Home | News | Books | Speeches | Places | Resources | Education | Timelines | Index | Search

Text and photo copyright © 2016 Abraham Lincoln Online. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy