AbrahamLincolnOnline.Org

Lincoln Pew

President Lincoln and local Gettysburg battle hero John Burns occupied this pew in the Gettysburg Presbyterian Church while they listened to a patriotic speech by Charles Anderson. The present church, built on the site of the one Lincoln visited, has preserved the original pew the men used on November 19, 1863.

Lincoln's presence attracted a huge crowd, according to a local newspaper: "For everyone inside there were ten on the outside, who wanted to get in." Before the late-afternoon meeting was over, however, Lincoln had to leave for the Gettysburg railroad depot and his duties in Washington. By this time he was already feeling ill, having contracted a mild form of small pox.

<Click on picture to continue


 Back to Tour Home 

Home | News | Books | Speeches | Places | Resources | Education | Timelines | Index | Search

Text and photo copyright © 2016 Abraham Lincoln Online. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy