AbrahamLincolnOnline.Org


Lincoln, Illinois

Postville Courthouse

Abraham Lincoln visited this historic site twice a year on the circuit when the town of Postville was the Logan County seat from 1840 to 1848. The original building, erected in 1840, was one of the destinations of the old Eighth Judicial Circuit.

When Lincoln first attended court here, he was a junior partner of John Todd Stuart. By 1844 he had opened his own law practice with William H. Herndon as junior partner. Lincoln's friend and colleague, Samuel Treat, was the presiding judge and traveled with the lawyers.

<Click on picture to continue.


  Back to Tour Home 

Home | News | Books | Speeches | Places | Resources | Education | Timelines | Index | Search

Text and photo copyright © 2016 Abraham Lincoln Online. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy