22. Carding MillThe enterprising Samuel Hill built a carding machine and storehouse for wool in 1835, which was run by two oxen hitched to a 40-foot wheel.
T.G. Onstot, the cooper's son, recalled, "Every person kept sheep in those days and took the wool to the machine. They commenced bringing in wool in May and by June the building would be full. It was amusing to see the sacks of all sorts and sizes and sometimes old petticoats." Two years later Hill sold the building to Hardin Bale, who moved it to nearby Petersburg.
<Click on picture to continue. Back to Tour Home