16. Clary StoreWilliam Clary, one of the area's early settlers, operated a saloon on the bluff overlooking the mill. While men waited for grain to be ground by the mill, they passed time at Clary's store. Clary also operated a ferry across the Sangamon River, charging 12 1/2 cents per ride for a man and horse.
Clary served as a volunteer in Lincoln's company during the 1832 Black Hawk War. Later that year he moved to Texas, so Alexander Trent took over his store and James Richardson assumed the ferry business.
<Click on picture to continue.Back to Tour Home